My dear Nbisiing Anishinaabeg:
Please take a few minutes to consider this call to action. It’s such an important time where we all need to do our part, to work together, to get rid of Stephen Harper and his insensitive, reckless and irresponsible government that has absolutely no care or concern for Anishinaabe families.
Several prominent community members and myself have been working to help our good friend Anthony Rota to take back the Nipissing-Timiskaming riding from Harper back-bencher Jay Aspin.
Harper, Aspin and the Conservative government have refused to work with First Nation on a nation-to-nation basis, choosing unilateral and arbitrary means to further their agenda. An agenda that has seen them kill the $5 billion Kelowna Accord, a blind refusal to call an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women, stripping environmental laws meant to protect fresh water, and cutting millions of dollars from First Nations organizations across the country.
Here’s what we need to know about the October 19, 2015 federal election:
- We need to take action. Stephen Harper has to go. So we must all do our part to help make that happen. What can you do?
- We need to vote strategically. In our riding, the last election was decided by only 18 votes. If we are to use “strategic voting” we can take a seat away from the Harper government. In our riding, strategic voting means that we all need to vote Liberal. In our riding, if you vote NDP or Green, you are helping re-elect the Conservatives. See http://www.strategicvoting.ca/districts.html.
- We need to help our friends. As a community, we should support our friend and our biggest supporter. No MP or local candidate has been a better friend, supporter and stuck with us through thick and thin than Anthony Rota. He’s really been there for our First Nation as an MP and a community leader. Even during the past four, hard years, Anthony’s been here and we can count on him. Anybody remember Rona Eckhert, Dave Fluri, Dianna Allen, Art Campbell, Wendy Young or Dawson Pratt??? Me neither. But Anthony will be here for our community, doing what he does best, regardless of the election result.
Do you want to know what you can do to help get rid of Stephen Harper? Please consider volunteering a few hours of your time with the Anthony Rota campaign.
We need some Nbisiing Anishinaabeg to help out with the following:
- Making phone calls to potential supporters.
- Canvassing our community door-to-door.
- Delivering lawn signs to homes in our community.
- Acting as election day volunteers.
- Being a scrutineer or poll agent on behalf of the campaign.
No experience is necessary. It does help if you have a car or a ride to the Campaign office in North Bay. You’ll receive a little bit of training then you’ll be set to work with a lot of good, friendly and like-minded people.
If you can help out, please call Bob Goulais at (705) 805-9242 or e-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Miigwetch. Thank you in advance for your time and effort.